Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Miss California Pageant, Part 3: Preliminaries!


The preliminary competitions take place over four separate nights of pageantry and performances at the theatre. Depending on your lottery selected group, you compete in one area of competition each night. Following each preliminary night, there were visitation receptions, where the contestants got to visit with their families, visit with their committees, and got to take fun pictures with fellow contestants, friends, and family!
The first night of preliminary competition for my group was the Swimsuit Competition! I was VERY proud to rock my black one-piece swimsuit! I received dozens of complements backstage on the elegance and class of my swimsuit choice, and I couldn't have been happier with how it went! The only downer: I got so caught up in the events of the first preliminary night that I completely forgot to take a photo in the swimsuit... my bad! I can guarantee, though, that it looked AMAZING!! =)

My Family and Me at the First Visitation Reception!

My Roomie and Me! =)


           The second night of competition for me was my onstage question... I was SO nervous!! But I ended up getting asked what I look for in a political candidate... not too bad, right? When you're onstage with all of the lights in your face and feeling pressure from the presence of the audience and the judges, it goes by in such a foggy blur... but I said something along the lines of honesty, respect, faith, and the ability to bring the political parties together in common agreement so that laws could get passed and things could get done... not too bad! =)

My Committee and My Teen!

My Teen and Me; I love Amanda! =)
           The third night was one of my favorites: evening wear!! My amazing grandparents bought me my dark blue Scala gown, and I couldn't be happier about my gown choice, my walk, and my and performance on the stage! I got lots of compliments from everyone backstage, including our new Miss California, Leah Cecil, who said she would wear it herself!! =D

My Evening Gown!! <3


Even Pageant Girls Goof Off! =P



Me with Some Lovely Ladies! =)
Solo Pose!

 And on Friday night, I performed my German art song for the judges in the Talent Competition. It went swimmingly!! The lighting crew at the theatre was amazing, they made the stage look like a fantasy garden-- very appropriate, considering my gown choice and the concept of the song I performed... it was SUCH a wonderful experience singing on such a huge stage in front of such a warm crowd!! =)
In addition to the final night of preliminary competition for us "Miss" contestants, Friday was also the finals for Miss California's Outstanding Teen!! Unfortunately my Teen did not make the top 10- but I am SO proud of all of the hard work she put into her preparation!! Grace Lee Grant, Miss Golden Gate's OT, won the 2012 crown; she was very gracious and sweet and took a picture backstage with me; afterward, she leaned in and thanked me for helping her with her walk (I had helped a group of teens during a dinner break; I didn't initially realize when she won that she was in the group!)! It was a memorable moment and a reminder that the small, undeclared good deeds don't go unnoticed...  =)

My Talent Outfit!
Performing My Aria!
Me with Grace, Miss CA OT '12!

My Parents and Me!
Me with my Beautiful Princesses, Alyssa and Ashley Horton!


No comments:

Post a Comment